I am by most counts 76 years old. Not that it pleases me much. But I’m fed up with ageism. It’s everywhere, like a fungus among us.
- The doc says not to worry abut X YZ because, uh, well uh, ahem! – you know, at your age you might ..uh well-uh you know what i mean, right? As we grow older certain things do not work-as well, you know what I mean? Right?
- The bored and distracted cashier at the grocery store assumes im already-a demented, doddering, simpering, half blind , weak old nincompoop who cannot find or then carry his own groceries and so says: here let me carry them to your car SWEETIE/HONEY/etc. I decline as politely as they were when offering.
- It’s not that I wouldn’t enjoy being waited on. No. I decline because of the packer’s behavior: either s/he is, my age or ojder and looks like s/he is about to topple over just by himself — or because being young and strong, the packer has a look of blind+deaf+dumb indifference that says you cannot breach this wall in a thousand years oh boring old person.
- There is no winning. They want us whitecaps to lose their oomph. Maybe when we are vital and aged ,it upsets some teenage universal order. Who knows? It does not matter. When I declinebecausee of these reasons, these slobber-mpommies inevitably come back with; are you sure DARLINGs
- I get the same bs from some nurses, waitresses, bank tellers, Wendy’s order takers, secretaries vendors eyc ad nauseam.
They mean well but they dont know!
Sure the body chsnges over the years. Just ask my pants. But so does the wisdom of been-there, done-that. Its simple and I demonstrated it this. morning with our 1’ foot of snow. You just work fast so that your body is done before your slow, turtle like brain knows it has hapoened. Take a peek:
And the next little floozie who calls me HONEY/SWEETHEART/DARLIN’ etc better watch out. My slow brain might think she’s asking for a quickie — I might take her up on it, and she won’t ever again think we HONEY+SWEETIE+DARLIN’S are slow, plodding slug like creatures incapable of our own little interpersonal explosions. She wont know what hit her ( neither will I but it will be fast there isn’t much to be quick about any more..) Or I can just tell her off: Cut out the talking down to me (can’t say condescending: it is above the 4th grade reading level — our just peachy national reading level average – -the tweet level of comprehension) HONEYLAMB, its rude, pushy and presumptuous. Need to know how to spell presumptuous? Finally I could just watch as she laughs herself to death after I take her up on the presumed flirt.
One way or the other, it would be fondly to be hoped that SWEETIE/HONEY/DARLIN’ won’t ever mean the same thing again.
At least thats my own sweetie fantasy. Going back for my mid morning nap.
Now what was my name again, sweetie?
Insights: long, short, verbal, photographic; Things seen looking through panes in tales.